Tuesday, 16 September 2008

September 16


Here are some of the effects of the typhoon! This is on campus... swimming anyone?



Today was my first day of school! (mom the picture is for you!) I had two classes, both with just our small group (13 girls) from OSU. The first one was 'Families in Poverty' and the second was my Chinese course! That's right, I'm learning Chinese! When dividing up the group my professor decided I should go in the fast pace course, so I'm going to be studying a lot BUT I am super excited. It is difficult to say the least. Besides the completely different sounds and sentence structure, there are 4 different tones in the language, so one word could be 4 different things depending how you say it and lets just say my ear isn't that talented! But just by showing up everyday (it's 3 days a week) I get an A so I have nothing to loose (other than my mind!).

For those of you who know anything about how I feel about straws... I am in heaven here!! They have these straws that are about 3x as big around as ours for bubble tea and every time I see them I want to take the whole bucket! I got bubble tea (milk tea with tapioca/jelly balls in the bottom) today for the first time (and now know how to say it in chinese: jiao tang nai cha)




Yesterday I went out on an outing with a couple of the other girls by ourselves to IKEA! There is a HUGE one here only about 5 bus stops away! We got some things for our rooms, ate a western lunch, and all wanted to redecorate our entire houses, friends house, and friends mom's house!

Tonight we are going out for a 'traditional' chinese dinner. We will see what else the night brings!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are some SWEET straws! Will you write me a letter or sing me a song in Chinese asap? I miss you!

Emily said...

I LOVE Bubble Tea!!! But I didn't know how to say it, so thanks for that! Don't you love the intenseness that is Chinese!?! Tomorrow I have to do my first spoken introduction in chinese in front of the class...I am so nervous! My pronounaciaton is not the best, but I am trying hard. We should speak in chinese sometime soon!

Anonymous said...

The best part about bubble tea is shooting people with the jelly balls! Those straws would work fantastic for that! Hope you are having a blast! Good luck with classes!