Friday, 12 September 2008

Arriving, Exploring, and Typhooning!



Hello everyone! After a full 24 hours of traveling, I arrived in one piece, with all my luggage and a huge smile on my face into Taipei, Taiwan! It was late at night when we arrived on the campus we are at (FuJen Catholic University) so we went straight to our dormitory/hostel and tried to sleep. I had heard that it took a week to adjust to the jet leg and I am happy to say I haven’t had a problem with it! It is actually kind of nice to be on this schedule: I am going to bed pretty early and waking up by 6 am and having the whole day to explore! And we sure have been exploring! My feet are tired from all the walking- we’ve gone

downtown to Taipei 101- the (now second) tallest building in the world, lots of shopping around, eating out and just getting familiar with the bus system and subway. I love feeling of being in a completely different culture with everyone around me looking different and speaking a different language. It’s such an eye opener and humbling experience. Although it’s only been a couple days I already feel comfortable and confident that this will be an amazing, life changing experience. I can’t wait to get out into the country side and do some traveling and just to see everything that I can! We’ve had to learn to be super flexible already and to just go with the flow because of the category 3 typhoon that came to shore Friday evening, postponing our first group trip to the east side of the island to Hualein (a national park with hiking, mountains, and beautiful beaches!). We are now planning to go next weekend. For those of you like me who was confused on what exactly a typhoon is it’s exactly the same as a hurricane, just in a different part of the world and tends to have stronger winds. I am sitting in the entry area of our hostel and watching it and hearing it! The rain is the kind you step out into and are instantly soaked, the wind is literally bending some of the trees to the ground, and the sky is a dark luminous color. The Typhoon is forecasted to bring in something like 52 inches of rain. We are safe, and it is actually quiet a special experience to watch something like this without feeling in danger. Well more to come later!

3 comments:

momma said...

Hey Christy !!!!! This is such an awesome start. You sure are collecting some interesting "verbs" but do you really have to do typhooning so soon?? Yikes!!
Loves to you . . . . Momma

momma said...

Oh --- another thing. I called Grandpa Bill right away and let him know about it. He's going to get to it with Tom and Sandra's help. (HI DAD!! Dad, you can send a little note to Christy this way!). She's 15 hours away . . . already into tomorrow, but it's just a minute or two this way.
Loves to you again ~~ Momma

Emily said...

Hey you!! Ok I think it is pretty crazy we both hasd typhoon experiences right off...it is definitely typhoon season here!
I am soo glad you are having fun and I am soo jealous you have a subway system. We only have bus here (subway is under construction and won't be done until next year). I miss you tons and can't wait to randevouz!!